Do You Need A Passport To Go To Mexico?

Published by Travel Visa Pro on Wed Oct 4 2017

Mexico is an incredibly popular tourist destination, especially for travelers from the United States. With magnificent beaches, incredible food, and fascinating architecture, Mexico is a South American paradise that offers vacationers an unforgettable experience no matter the time of year – although you can expect to see plenty of international spring breakers there around Easter!

If you’re looking to explore this beautiful country for the first time, you likely have some questions about what you need to do as you get ready for your big adventure. The documents you’ll need to have prepared will depend on your method of transportation and your age. Keep reading and you will find out if do you need a passport to go to Mexico.

Do You Need A Passport To Go To Mexico


Get Your Mexico Visa Here


Air Travel

If you’re traveling to Mexico by plane, you must be prepared to present a current passport. Other documents accepted by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and Department of Homeland Security include U.S. military identification with orders to travel, NEXUS traveler cards, and U.S. merchant mariner documents with proof of official business.

Land and Sea Travel

If you’re traveling to Mexico by land and/or sea, you have the same options as those traveling by plane in addition to a few other options. Instead of a passport book, a passport card may serve as an acceptable travel document. Other documents that are compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative include trusted traveler cards, proof of tribal status, and state-issued enhanced driver’s licenses.


U.S. citizens under 16 do not need to provide any documentation other than a current passport when traveling to Mexico. Both passport books and passport cards serve as proper documentation for children. Alternatively, they may present their original birth certificate, a certified copy, or one of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative-compliant documents listed previously.

Mexican citizens under 16 years of age, including dual citizens, should bring along their original birth certificate or a certified copy. They will also need proof of authorization from their parent(s) or guardian(s) in order to travel alone.

Children traveling by land for school trips or other organized group trips should only need a copy of their birth certificate with them. Nothing more than this proof of citizenship should be required of the child, but the trip organizer should have an organizational letterhead that includes trip details such as a list of supervisors, children’s names, written permission from parents and guardians, and the group’s name.

US passport

All minors who are applying for a passport for the first time must apply in person. They will need their birth certificate and their guardian will need to provide proof of their relationship to the child  in addition to their own proof of citizenship.

Visitor’s Permits

You should be sure to purchase a Forma Migratoria Multiple, otherwise known as a visitor’s permit, upon entering Mexico in order to avoid legal trouble. You can purchase these at the airport once you land if you’re traveling by plane. If you’re driving, you’ll want to fill out a Forma Migratoria Multiple form once you reach the border in case you’re stopped at a checkpoint once you get farther along. Be sure to insist on filling out one of these forms, as agents may not suggest that you do so or let you know that you’ll need one. Agents at internal checkpoints will ask to see your permit and they have the right to search your vehicle. If you’re traveling by sea, the cruise line you’re traveling under should have Forma Migratoria Multiple forms readily available. You can also fill them out at the port of entry. If you’re using your own boat to get to Mexico, you’re still going to need to obtain a visitor’s permit from the nearest immigration office.

Do You Need A Passport To Go To Mexico?

Regardless of whether or not you’re asked to present a passport upon entering Mexico, you’re going to need one in order to re-enter the United States.

Travel Visa Pro provides a wide variety of services, including expedited passport services, that allow you to feel prepared for your trip. Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a first-timer, our representatives are always available to assist you with your paperwork and documentation no matter if you’re facing an immediate need due to an emergency situation or are simply looking to plan your trip in advance.

It’s important to connect with a Mexican embassy or consulate, the Department of State, or a local passport agency before you leave for your trip. Travel Visa Pro has offices located all across the United States, and we’re available to assist you in person or over the phone if you have any questions about your upcoming vacation. We communicate regularly with international embassies and consulates in order to stay updated on any changes in rules and regulations, so we can offer you accurate information that allows you to be prepared in advance. Allow us to handle your paperwork – it’s time for you to focus on packing your bags!