Americans Traveling South: Tourist Visa for Mexico

Published by Travel Visa Pro on Tue Mar 21 2017

It wasn’t too long ago Americans could travel freely between Mexico, Canada, and the US by land using nothing more than state-issued IDs or driver’s licenses. Unfortunately, we now live in a brave new world with tighter security and regulations to boot. A Mexico tourist visa generally isn’t necessary for most travelers, but there are some restrictions to be aware of.


Get Your Mexico Visa Here


Traveling far from the border

If you’re a businesswoman living in San Diego with partners in Tijuana, you’re on the receiving end of the best arrangement between the US and Mexico. Travelers entering Mexico by land and not planning on traveling farther than 25 kilometers into the country don’t even need to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple, FMM) from an immigration checkpoint. The same can be said for all those commuting from US border cities like Brownsville and El Paso into neighboring cities in Mexico. Although you will need to carry a valid passport book or card, no tourist visa for Mexico is required.

Staying longer than six months

Any US citizen planning to stay in Mexico for longer than 180 days for retirement, investments, professional activities, technical activities, artistic activities, scientific activities, and sport activities is required to apply at a Mexican consulate or embassy in person for a visa. In some cases, travelers may need to provide an invitation letter from a company or organization based in Mexico describing the purpose of their trip and any expenses that may be incurred.

Besides that, Travel Visa Pro recommends registering with the local consulate prior to your arrival in Mexico to ensure US Embassy officials can provide you with specific information regarding your upcoming trip, including any travel warnings or alerts.

Are you planning to travel to Mexico in the coming months? What advice would you offer?