Do You Need a Passport to Go to Mexico?

Published by Travel Visa Pro on Thu Sep 8 2022

Mexico boasts some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and is a popular destination wedding spot for most couples. Besides its sandy and sunny beaches, it is also home to an exciting culture filled with tantalizing cuisines and welcoming people. No wonder U.S. citizens cannot help but venture into Mexico, seeking a cultural and invigorating stay as they break from the norm of their lives. But what do you need to enter the country?


Do You Need a Passport to Go to Mexico?

While traveling to Mexico might seem like crossing the border, a lot more goes into it. All U.S. citizens traveling to Mexico must possess a passport which should be valid at the time of entry. The passport should also have one page per stamp (entry and exit). Please note that in some cases, you may need a passport book; in others, a passport card will prove sufficient.

What happens when you travel to Mexico without a passport? The immigration officials will deny you entry into the country, and you will have no choice but to leave and return to the U.S. To avoid this, ensure you have a valid passport in good condition. We can help you process your passport and expedite it if you are in a hurry. All you need to do is contact us via +1-833-TVP-VISA (887-8472).

Get Your Passport Here


What Do You Need to Cross the Mexican Border?

Besides a valid passport, you will also need to present the following documents at the border:

  • A Mexican tourist card (FMT) applies to visitors who will be in the country for fewer than 180 days. This card will be issued to you at the border when traveling by car or at the airport if traveling by air. If you wish to stay longer than this, you will need to process another type of visa suited to your purpose,
  • Additional documents depending on your visit’s purpose. The immigration department may require you to present your return tickets, hotel reservations, itinerary, or any other documents as they see fit.

Ensure you always have your tourist card with you as you may need to present it to the authorities at various checkpoints.


Do You Need a Passport to Drive to Mexico?

When traveling to Mexico by car, you must have a valid passport which can be a book or a card. A green card is also acceptable if you do not have these documents. However, it is best always to check the latest entry requirements to ensure you have the right documents.

Please note that this requirement applies to anyone above 16 years. If you are traveling with people aged under 16 years, passports are not necessary. Even so, you will need a form of ID, which can be a birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, or a certificate of citizenship.

If you wish to venture more than 20 kilometers into Mexico, you will have gone past the immediate border area. In this case, not only will you need a passport, but you will also need to get an entry permit from the National Migration Institute. Generally, tourists can stay in the country for up to 180 days without a visa. However, this period is not standard and could be lower in some cases, so it’s always best to contact the immigration authorities to know what applies to you.

Please note that you must have your passport while in the country as immigration authorities can request to review it at any time. Failure to have a valid passport or overstaying your entry permit can result in hefty fines and penalties, including detention.

Additionally, you must have a valid driver’s license, a vehicle import permit, and tourist insurance for your car. Else, you can run into trouble with the law.


Do You Need a Passport to Fly to Mexico?

If you are flying into Mexico, you must have a valid U.S. passport book which should be valid at the time of entry and should have at least one blank page per stamp. You cannot use a U.S. passport card to travel to Mexico by air, as this document is not acceptable for international air travel.

Unlike land travel, where minors can travel without passports, air travel requires that everyone hold a valid passport. Thus, you will need to process passport books for any minors traveling with you and include consent forms from their parents or guardians.


What Documents Do I Need to Travel to Mexico by Air?

The entry documents will be a valid passport and a filled-in tourist card. However, other documents may be necessary if you plan to stay in the country longer than 180 days. Don’t hesitate to contact us via +1-833-TVP-VISA (887-8472), and we will advise you on which documents you need to prepare.