What do I need for a passport?

Published by Travel Visa Pro on Sun Aug 26 2018

Even if you’re an experienced traveler with more airline miles than credit on your card, navigating the bureaucracy to apply for a new passport or even renewing an existing one can be quite a challenge: what do you need to apply for a passport? What forms should be checked and double checked?


Get Your Passport Here


What do I need for a new passport?

You must submit the documents below in person or through a licensed agency like Travel Visa Pro if you’re applying for a passport for the first time, your last passport was damaged, lost or stolen, you are under the age of 16, you were under the age of 16 when your last US passport was issued, or if your last US passport was issued more than fifteen years ago.

1. Evidence of US Citizenship. You can use a passport issued over fifteen years ago as proof of your US citizenship, provided it is undamaged. Otherwise, a US birth certificate that was issued by the city, county, or state of birth and lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth in addition to your parents’ full names, dated and signed by the registrar and bears the seal of the issuing authority – the long-form birth certificate.

2. Form DS-11. If you have your previous passport undamaged and issued within fifteen years after the age of 16, you should use form DS-82 to apply for a passport renewal.

3. Current ID. The same expired US passport may be used for a current form of ID. Otherwise, state-issued driver’s licenses or foreign passports are acceptable.

4. Two passport-sized photos. All photographs sent in with your other passport documents must be printed on photo quality paper, measuring 2×2 inches in size.

5. Payment. Standard processing fees for a new US passport are $110 in the form of a check or money order. In addition, an Execution Fee of $25 is added for all in-person appointments.

What do I need for a new passport

6. Special Circumstances. The requirements above apply in most situations. However, children under 16, children aged 16-17, previous passport holders whose documents were lost or stolen, those who owe more than $2500 in child support, those who are requesting a gender designation change, and official, diplomatic, or other special issuance passport holders should provide additional documentation.

What documents do I need for a passport renewal?

Let’s assume you already have a valid US passport and need one for the next ten years. Even if your old book hasn’t expired yet, you may have filled up the pages with stamps and visas; many countries ask for at least two blank pages for entry, and immigration is notorious for spacing out stamps instead of lumping them all together. If the expiration date is approaching, you’ll need at least six months’ validity on your passport to travel to almost anywhere else.

So, what exactly do you need to renew your US passport in person or by mail?

1. Form DS-82. This form may only be used for passport renewals. Form DS-11 should be used for new passport applications.

2. Your most recent US passport. You will receive both passport documents back, but must submit your current passport book if it hasn’t been lost, damaged, or stolen. If it has, you must follow the same procedure as applying for a new passport (see below).

3. Include Name Change Documents. This applies if you have legally changed your name or had your surname changed due to marriage, divorce, adoption, emancipation, or otherwise.

4. Two passport-sized photos. All photographs sent in with your other passport documents must be printed on photo quality paper, measuring 2×2 inches.

5. Payment. Standard passport processing fees are $110, or $170 for expedited service in the form of a check or money order.

Don’t let a little thing like paperwork stop you from enjoying your travels, whether it’s for vacation or work. The experts at Travel Visa Pro are available to demystify the application process and make sure you never have to worry about what you need for to get your passport application processed.

Do you have all the documents you need for your passport application?