Build your trip
+ Add destination

Requirements Listing

Too complicated?Use Concierge Service

Passport Name Change

Have you recently changed your legal name and need to replace all your personal documents? Travel Visa Pro can help. To help change the name on your passport, be aware there are two different services offered. If your current US passport was issued less than one year ago, you can change the name on your document and receive a new book valid for 10 years. If you’re holding a book issued more than a year ago, you’ll have to go through the standard passport renewal process. In both cases, you must provide proof of a passport name change.

The category “Name Change” applies to you, if:

  • Your current US passport was issued less than ONE year ago
  • You can provide a proof of the name change.

Our processing times are given in BUSINESS days and not (calendar days). This excludes Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays!


Feel free to contact our passport experts at 1-833-TVP-VISA (887-8472)


U.S. Passport Name Change Services


Did you just get married? Congratulations! The last thing in the world you would want to happen at your honeymoon is to be denied entry to an exotic country because you forgot to update your passport. Although this is unlikely to happen, it’s important to have your travel documents represent your current legal name as soon as possible.

There are a number of reasons you might need to legally change your name: emancipation, adoption, separation, divorce, marriage. If your first or last name has been changed since your last passport was issued, there are different procedures to follow depending on how recently the change occurred.


Change Your Passport Name Online

If you need a U.S. passport name change less than one year since your book or card was issued, your paperwork can be accepted through the mail with Travel Visa Pro. Simply send in legal documents proving you have registered your new name – surname, first name, or both – with the government along with Form DS-5504 and a new passport photo. The good news is there no fee from the US Department of State for this service!

Applying for a passport name change more than one year after your original passport book or card was issued is a process similar to a renewal. In addition to Form DS-82, you’ll need to submit your valid passport with your old name, along with a passport-sized photo and the appropriate fees. The same name change documents must also be sent in the same application.

I don’t have valid documents. What can I do?

There are cases in which applicants may simply be able to provide legal proof of a name change: divorce, court order, or marriage certificate. While these documents are useful when learning how to change your name on your passport, they are not essential. As long as you have a valid ID with the name you want to use on your passport, Travel Visa Pro can accept it along with the application for a first-time passport, proof of US citizenship, one passport-sized photo, and the appropriate fees.

Gender Designation Passport Name Change

One of the newest reasons to legally change one’s name on a passport applies to those who are currently undergoing or have undergone gender reassignment. Assuming you are currently receiving medical treatment for gender reassignment, you can apply for a passport book valid for two years, which can be extended to ten following completion.

The process is roughly the same as applying for a first time passport. You should contact your nearest Travel Visa Pro office and submit Form DS-11, a valid ID showing your most recent appearance, medical certification that you are in the process of undergoing gender transition, and legal proof of name change (unless you intend on keeping the same name).

Once your gender reassignment is complete and assuming it’s been less than two years since your temporary passport was issued, you can apply for a full ten-year passport book with your new legal name for no additional charge using Form DS-5504.

Any other information you need changed on your US passport?

A passport name change is the most common reason to reissue one’s passport before it expires, short of damage, loss, or theft. Most cases that apply to updating state-issued IDs aren’t applicable for passports; you don’t need to notify the State Department if you change addresses or start wearing glasses. In fact, you’re not even allowed to wear glasses in passport photos.

Because a passport name change is viewed by the government as a change to an existing valid document, in most cases applicants do not need to pay an additional fee and can walk away with a passport book with the same expiration date as their old one.

Do you need to change the name on your passport? What are your concerns? Contact us now!


Choose Your Service

Same day
Executive Choice Passport
Next Day