Are you getting a passport for the first time? Has the ten-year mark finally come around and you need to renew your old one? Photo requirements may have changed since you first smiled into the camera as a young traveler.
Passport Photo Requirements
- All photos must have been taken in the last six months and generally reflect your current appearance
- As of November 1st, 2016, no glasses are allowed in passport photos. If you are unable to remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a note from your doctor with your passport application.
- The photo background should be white or off-white
- Your face should show a neutral expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- Your head must face the camera directly with your full face in view
- All clothing is allowed. Hats or head coverings are not permitted unless worn for religious reasons.
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Your head must be between 1 – 1 3/8 inches (25 – 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- In color
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Only one photo is required for a passport application
Examples of Good Passport Pictures
Remember: smiling is ok in passport photos as long as it’s relaxed
Guide to Taking Passport Photos
We recommend using a professional photographer or photo service for your passport photo. Taking a photo that satisfies the following conditions requires an eye for the camera position and lighting; small mistakes that an amateur photographer might not notice – off-center, too many shadows, under or overexposed – could result in your photo being rejected by the Department of State for passport applications or consular officers processing visa applications.
Sean is thrilled with his photo
Precision is the best way to take a passport photo, by placing the camera at eye level approximately four feet from the person being photographed in front of a plain white background. Take note of light sources to eliminate or at least reduce shadows in the photo.
Where to take passport photos?
Travel Visa Pro has partnered with PassportPhotos as a convenient and government compliant resource for your passport photo needs. You will have the ability to upload or take a photo with your mobile or PC right from the comfort of your home. It will then be scanned and verified for Department of State compliance. As a further convenience, you can upload the approved digital photos to us through your TVP Document Upload Link and we will print at no additional cost if you have ordered VIP concierge or Document Pre-Check Service and just $30 for all other orders.