Can I Get a Passport If I Owe Child Support?

Published by Travel Visa Pro on Mon Nov 14 2022

Are you behind on child support payments and need to leave the U.S.? You may have heard of people who were denied passports on such a basis. And the question on your mind might be: can I get a passport if I owe child support? Like with most legal matters, this is a gray area, and you may or may not be eligible for passport approval. Let’s find out where the cards will fall in your case:


Can I Get a Passport If I Owe Child Support?

The State Department works with child support enforcement agencies to enforce parental responsibilities. If you should be paying child support and have not been holding up your end of the deal, the relevant enforcement agency can forward your name to the state department. If this happens, you cannot apply for a new passport nor renew your current one, as you will be on the “defaulter” list.

Does every parent behind on child support face denial? Only parents who owe more than $2,500 in child support payments face this challenge. So, you can get a passport if your arrears have not hit the $2,500 mark.


How to Get a Passport While Owing Back Child Support?

How to get a passport while owing back child support? If you owe less than $2,500 in child support arrears, you can get a passport in the standard way. However, if you owe more than $2,500 in child support arrears, you will need to pay off the arrears so you can get your name off the “defaulter” list. You do not necessarily need to pay the whole amount and can enter an arrangement with the enforcement agency. Once you have been cleared from the list, you must wait about 3 weeks before the state department clears your name. You can then apply for a passport.

Get Your Passport Here